Tuesday 22 January 2013

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

The similarities between a 'real' music video and my own music video are actually very slim, as I had set out to creating something completely different and unique. In most music videos within the Singer/Songwriter genre of music on MTV, youtube, vevo etc you expect to see various shots of the artist playing/performing or long shots of where they are or their favourite places, but for my music video I had chosen to make an animation which in turn fits my album title perfectly, 'Watching life through music' as you are effectively watching my life through an animation whilst listening to the song, which I think was a very clever idea of mine.

Although my video is very different from the average music video, I have taken elements from previous music videos that I had seen in order to create newer ideas, like upgraded versions of the previous ideas if you will. A great example of a music video that inspired me was 'take on me' by 'A-ha', as it had a constant switch between reality and animation and I thought I would make my music video so that two minutes or just over would be based on the animation and the remaining time for the end will be based on a reality section, but again I did something different here, I had a transition between animation to reality, by making the first real part slightly blurred and muffled so that it would seem like its still partially based in an animated set.

Also something different about my music video is that the song had to fit with the video, but usually the video has to fit in time with the track, but I simply thought that there is always room for improvement or change with the song and not so much with the video because once the video is done it is very hard to edit to change significantly and so after completing the video I had to rearrange the track to fit with the video.

In some ways, I suppose my video could be seen as a normal music video because of the ending in the reality scene, where I have a certain pop star swagger about me and my clothing has a certain 'fly' sense to it, but I personally still wouldn't call it a standard music video, more my own unique creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment