Saturday 12 January 2013

My favourite music videos

There are obvious hundreds, thousands of music videos around throughout the years and within all genres but here in this blog, there will be a selection of my favourite music videos, but not in any particular order.

First is 'take on me' by 'a-Ha' from 1985. I like it because some of the ideas of the style of music video are very similar to my music video for example the contrast between reality and the comic/ cartoon. I also like the colours which are very specific in order for the contrast to work perfectly.
This next one 'walk this way' by Aerosmith ft Run DMC has to be one of my all time favourite songs, but I especially like the music video that fits perfectly with the song, starting of with a little narrative of a battle between rap and rock which then eventually come together, mixing as one, which personally I think is extremely clever.
This music video is a great narrative and performance based video as it shows a the band playing at Arnold's diner where it shows off the band with the reaction and atmosphere of the teenage school type of crowd. I just think its a great music video and very well done by Spike Jonze as it suits its 'American pop rock' genre.
Next is 'Jamiroquai's (Jay Kay) - virtual insanity' music video which is incredibly cleverly done as it creates a sort of illusion causing an insane reaction when watching because it feels like the floor is moving as the chairs and sofas move around a lot but in actual fact it is apparently the walls that move to cause the tricky optical illusion throughout. But this is helped by Jamiroquai's slick dance moves which help him slide across the room as if he's doing a sort of continuous 'moonwalk', which somehow makes him very easy to watch despite the fact that the viewer will be baffled whilst focusing more on the background and trying to figure out the illusion. I personally just think it's a great video, but for me the song isn't the best.
I absolutely love the song 'coffee & tv' by Blur even though the music video has no real relation to the song in my opinion although you do get glimpses of the band here and there but I don't think there are enough shots of the band performing to call it a performance based music video, nevertheless I think the music video is brilliant and again has a cartoon/ animation based theme, which helps me get inspiration for my own music video. The video is about an animated milk carton's life, simply walking around here and there trying to find something big or important, when he falls in love with a pink female milk carton who sadly gets squashed but in the end they are reunited through death in heaven, or at least in the process of ascending to heaven.
The white stripes' 'the hardest button to button' has to be one of my all time favourite music videos as the effort on it is phenomenal, it has a type of stop motion where every time the guitarist walks a bit or up or down a step the drummer and her kit moves in step to the beat as well which is incredibly impressive and the amount of editing to make this video must be immense. The drummer and the guitarist and the amps move in time to each beat, so this type of video in my opinion has to be appreciated by everyone whether you like the type of music or not. It's a fantastic music video.

This next music video is 'here it goes again' by 'Ok go', which again is a great little amusing music video, which is very well choreographed using treadmills and treadmill based dance moves which surprising fit the song perfectly and well why wouldn't this comical piece fit perfectly? now that would be a mystery. The video has one continuous shot throughout which is really all it needs for something so simple yet brilliant.
This is another fantastic music video that I love, it has a story so its narrative based but using the animation from a comic book type scene. I think its very clever and brilliantly done and strangely it fits the music despite it being rap. Not much more can be said about this video apart from its very inspiring for me and my music video.
This is 'just the way you are' by 'Bruno Mars' which is one of my favourite songs, but I especially love the way the music video has been done with its use of animation on the board using the tape string. It is very clever as it shows Bruno moving the tape on the board to make the shapes that resemble the lyrics he is singing.
Finally to top off this blog I leave you with a stunning music video of 'Fit but don't you know it' by 'The Streets'. I think this is one of my most favoured music videos simply because the singer is carrying photos of a recent holiday with him as he walks down the street and in each picture he flicks through it shows him singing inside the picture which is very clever indeed and this enables the viewer/ listener to see what he is singing about in a simple but more than effective way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment